Home

lowther apartments


View from the northwest

Built in 1908, this three-storey apartment building needed extensive renovations to its two lower-floor apartments which had remained unused for several decades. The project gives new life to a significant downtown-Toronto heritage structure, and adds much needed rental housing to the Annex.

Working closely with the owners through design and construction, we created two new two-bedroom apartment units, and upgraded the existing upper-floor apartment units with new laundry facilities and mechanical systems.

The new units feature a modern open-concept kitchen, dining and living room area, individual walkouts, and an area for bike-locking storage. The layout follows the traditional layout of the apartments above, with some modifications made to suit the utility spaces in the basement. Traditional elements such as shaker-style doors, tall baseboards, and trim details were reintroduced to complement the heritage of the building. Despite being at the lower level, the new apartments bring in lots of natural light, with many large windows framing beautiful views of the trees outside.

Exterior work included lighting and canopy restoration. Paint was removed from the heritage façade, revealing the lovely two-tone brick building. The existing units remained occupied during construction.



View of the east apartment kitchen

The east apartment kitchen



View of the east apartment

The east apartment – bedroom to kitchen



View of the east apartment entry

The east apartment entry hall



View of the west apartment

The west apartment kitchen and hall



project credits >